Sunday, July 25, 2010

Vegetable Garden

Sometimes I wonder what I would do with all of my spare time on the island if I didn't have to think of ways to deer-proof my veggie garden.
And yes, I've actually thought about 'getting into their head'...thinking about what they are thinking when they see my delicious looking plants!
My garden looks like some kind of wacky Tee Pee gone wild (pictured to the right of the Garden Shed).  

Structures made up of sticks all twined together, surrounded by more sticks and some chicken wire are the current 'theme' of the garden.  I can peel back the chicken wire for the day, then close it up at night to prevent feeding deer from munching away!

Early March 2008
Asparagus Patch preparation


After pulling up mounds of grass and building a big compost heap with it, I proceeded to pull out the rocks and sticks to make way for an Asparagus Patch.  Pictured here, is Craig helping to extract a stubborn boulder!!! Phew!
 
 I planted 10 Jersey Knight asparagus crowns in soil amended with lots of composted steer manure and fertilizer.  Spring 2009 will tell me if I was successful or not!

Asparagus patch - turned assorted veggie patchWell, I`m a somewhat impatient gardener - which is good and bad.  Good that I grew other vegetables in my Asparagus patch, but bad, in that I may have sacrified the nutrients the Asparagus crowns needed this summer!!!

The view from my (chicken wire) fenced-in Vegetable garden.I have a mixture of raised beds and rock encircled areas to define the garden spaces.  Pictured here, are tall leeks gone to seed and purple cabbages and the Garden Shed in the distance.
This was the first vegetable garden I created.  Craig helped me was enclose it with chicken wire and metal posts about 10' high.  With no formal framed door, I just hook/unhook the chicken wire.  It looks messy, but does the trick and was definitely low budget, which is what we needed!
  I was initially more interested in just getting the vegetables growing than the esthetics.  Now the 2009 growing season is upon us and I am working on how to create a visually appealing garden fence that the deer can't jump over....stay tuned!

A Summer`s end harvest! 
A small bushel of juicy apples, a pumpkin for pie at Thanksgiving, some tomatoes for spaghetti sauce and lots of other salad fixings, plus bright zinnias for the table....a great way to end the week-end!
BRUSSELS SPROUTS & RED CABBAGES- vegetables growing in the chicken wire fenced enclosure - only the birds come to visit me!

BASIL & PURPLE SAGE
BROCOLLI ~ gone to seed in foreground; surrounded by purple cabbage and brussels sprouts plants in background

A meandering POTATO patch
Try my recipe for "Curried Potatoes"!
This potato patch was left completely unprotected from the deer - the leaves are poisonous, so they never get nibbled! PUMPKIN
Try my recipe for Pumpkin Pie!
When this pumpkin finally ripened enough to harvest (end of September), it provided me with enough pumpkin (once cooked) to produce several pumpkin pies, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin loaf and some baked & mashed pumpkin as a side dish.  - 

No comments:

Post a Comment