Sunday, July 25, 2010

Vandal-Proof Edible Hedge

My sister Steph and I moved most of a huge pile of couch grass roots on the allotment to a heap where we can cover them in light-proof sheets whilst they rot down for a year or two. We also planted three gooseberry bushes she brought us as a present.

Our plot runs along part of the fence which surrounds the allotments, so we are especially vulnerable to vandals. What is worse, the fence at this point is lower than elsewhere, so it is a favourite point for access. I have begun to plant a hedge of thorny bushes alongside the fence - blackberries, hawthorn, loganberries, and gooseberries. I'd like to add holly, roses and blackthorn. When mature this should be a vandal-proof barrier, and also provide food for us and habitat for native birds (who will in turn reduce the population of slugs, snails and caterpillars). If it gets thick enough it will stop passers-by on the footpath from even seeing into the allotments. I like chatting to the friendly people who go past and it would be a shame to cut ourselves off from them, but I think if the local toe-rags can't see what's on the other side of the hedge it will remove the temptation to break in and set fire to the sheds etc.

Smallholding Dreams

I think my favourite Christmas present of 2006 was this painting by my sister, Stephanie. It's a stylised representation of the smallholding I dream of. The layout is based on the traditional quilting block known as log cabin.

The figure at the door in the centre is me. Ed is reaping corn in the distance. Eleanor is watering flowers in front of the house whilst Sam feeds the chickens nearby. Tom is sitting in the very foreground playing a hand-held computer game. The fingerpost points to our favourite places (Aberystwyth, Ballaugh, Cropredy) and there are many more details if you look closely.

Ed made the frame for me and now it hangs in the kitchen where I spend most of my time when I'm home, so I can look at it and dream of the future.

Steph has recently started her own blog about her art. She admires Giacometti and Lowry, but I'm very proud to have an original Stephanie Smith hanging in my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment